Many of us have heard of a ‘runner’s high,’ a rush of adrenaline and joy that happens after solid workout.
Did you know that this euphoria-like sensation is not only due to endorphins, but a fatty acid neurotransmitter called anandamide also takes part of the credit? Anandamide happens to be nearly identical to THC found in marijuana. Anandamide is also responsible for feelings of pain-relief, well-being, and even relaxation. When CBD is added to the mix, it increases the amount of anandamide, resulting in increased benefits from exercise. And if you’re an athlete, your workout can only benefit from this supplement.
CBD Benefits for Athletes
You’ve heard the phrase, “But wait, there’s more” – and this is a perfect example. Additional benefits of CBD for athletes include:
- Reduce Pain and Inflammation: CBD inhibits pain and inflammation.
- Nausea: CBD is effective for anti-nausea and sickness.
- Appetite Stimulation: CBD indirectly stimulates appetite, helping to crave good calories and fat.
- Overall Internal and External Health: Including strained muscles, dehydration, trauma, and damage to the nerves or spinal cord.
- Concussion Protection: Surprisingly, CBD can disrupt the flow of chemicals during a concussion incident.
- Post-Exercise Discomfort Ability to reduce post-exercise pain and discomfort.
Despite all the benefits of using CBD as an athlete, only Olympians were allowed to use the helpful substance for a long time. Fortunately, at the beginning of 2018, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) finally removed CBD from its list of banned substances, resulting in the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) no longer testing for CBD.
Athletes now feel more comfortable to speak out about their positive experiences with cannabinoids and are hopefully able to suffer from less pain and benefit from longer athletic careers.
Curious to know if CBD can help you with your exercise regimen or athletic career? Stop in to Brookside Holistic Solutions today!